Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

UK immigration

UK immigration
View More

Follow Us


The Unmarried Partner visa provides de-facto couples and same sex-couples with the same benefits and rights as those who are married or have undergone Civil Partnership Registration. This visa offers a two-year probationary period which can eventually lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and UK Nationality.

In order to be eligible for the Unmarried Partner visa, the couple must have lived together for at least two years before they are entitled for apply for the two year probationary visa. If however, the couples have been living together for four years or more immediately prior to lodgement of the application, an application for ILR can be made immediately.

The UK citizen or permanent resident must be their genuine partner and the couple must intend to continue living together.

This visa is for couples who do not intend to marry or who cannot marry and same-sex partners of British Citizens or permanent residents.

The Free Unmarried Partner visa Eligibility Assessment is designed to instantly determine if you are eligible to apply for a UK Family visa. It uses criteria set by the UK Border Agency and is the most comprehensive and technologically advanced online Migration Assessment tool available.


To qualify for an Entry Clearance or Further Leave to Remain application as an Unmarried Partner for a 2 year probationary period, there are basic requirements that must be met. Both parties must be at least 21 years of age and have been living together for two (2) years.

To obtain a family visa it is necessary for applicants to fulfil the basic prerequisites set out by UK Immigration Authorities. Regardless of whether the application is made within the UK , abroad, or for an extension (where applicable), the requirements are similar.

Applicants will also need to prove that their relationship is of a genuine and continuing nature.


The Unmarried Partner visa is initially granted for a two (2) year probationary period. Visa holders have unrestricted permission to work or study in the UK and can also enter and leave the UK during this period without any further permission.

Upon completion of the two (2) year probationary period, visa holders may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Holders of ILR under the Unmarried Partner visa category can apply for UK Nationality after holding ILR for one (1) year and residing legally in the UK for three (3) years with their spouse/civil partner.