Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

UK immigration

UK immigration
View More

Follow Us


The Spouse/Civil Partner visa is initially granted for a two (2) year probationary period and can lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and British nationality.

If however, the couple have been married or have been in a civil partnership for at least four (4) years prior to lodgement of the application, an application for ILR can be made immediately.

At the time of submitting the visa application, applicants for a Spouse/Civil Partner visa must demonstrate that they are legally married to, or in a Civil Partnership with a partner who is a UK National or permanent resident. This person must be their genuine spouse/partner and the couple must intend to live together in the UK.

The Free Spouse / Civil Partner visa Eligibility Assessment is designed to instantly determine if you are eligible to apply for a UK Family visa. It uses criteria set by the UK Border Agency and is the most comprehensive and technologically advanced online Migration Assessment tool available.


To obtain a Spouse/Civil Partner visa it is necessary for applicants to fulfil the basic prerequisites set out by the UK Immigration Authorities. Regardless of whether the application is made in the UK abroad, or if applicants are applying for an extension (where applicable), the main requirements are similar.

To qualify for an Entry Clearance or Further Leave to Remain application as a Spouse/Civil Partner for a two (2) year probationary period, there are basic requirements that must be met. Both parties must be at least 21 years old, have met and be legally married OR have undergone a civil partnership registration.

Applicants will also need to prove that their relationship is of a genuine and continuing nature.


The Spouse/Civil Partner visa is initially granted for a two (2) year probationary period. Visa holders have unrestricted permission to work or study in the UK and can also enter and leave the UK during this period without any further permission.

Upon completion of the two (2) year probationary period, visa holders may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Holders of ILR under this category can apply for UK Nationality once they have been living legally in the UK for three (3) years with their spouse/civil partner.