Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

UK immigration

UK immigration
View More

Follow Us


The Fiancé(e) /Prospective Civil Partner visa allow entry into the United Kingdom for a period of six (6) months in order for the couple to marry or register their civil relationship.

Applicants for a Fiancé(e)/Prospective Civil Partner visa must intend to marry or register with a partner who is a UK national citizen or permanent resident. Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their intention to marry or register with their partner.

Following the marriage or registration, applicants will be required to apply for the Spouse/Civil Partner visa. This visa is for a two (2) year probationary period and subject to meeting all requirements and continuing to live together, the applicant may be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

The Free Fiancé/Prospective Civil Partner visa Eligibility Assessment is designed to instantly determine if you are eligible to apply for a UK Family visa. It uses criteria set by the UK Border Agency and is the most comprehensive and technologically advanced online Migration Assessment tool available.


To obtain a Fiancé(e)/Prospective Civil Partner visa it is necessary for applicants to fulfil the basic prerequisites set out by UK Immigration Authorities. Regardless of whether the application is made within the UK (extension application) or abroad (initial application), the requirements are similar.

To qualify for an Entry Clearance application as a Fiancé(e)/Prospective Civil Partner there are basic requirements that must be met. Both parties must be at least 21 years of age, have met and be intending to marry OR undergo a civil partnership registration.

Note: A Fiancé(e)/Prospective Civil Partner visa provides temporary residency for a period of six (6) months from the date it is granted. Visa holders must marry/register with their intended Spouse/Partner within the six (6) month validity period of the visa. Following the marriage or civil registration, visa holders you will be eligible for apply for the Spouse/Civil Partner visa.


Successful applicants will be granted a visa valid for six (6) months. They must enter the UK and marry or undergo the Civil Partnership Registration within this time period. Once the ceremony has taken place, they can make an application to vary their leave in the UK to that of Spouse or Civil Partner.

Please note visa holders are not entitled to work in the UK during this initial period of leave.